All Category

Common Seepage Water Problem

Seepage Water  from External Wall & Ceiling

Do-it-yourself seepage water test

  1. What are the common causes of seepage water?


Common causes of seepage water :

  1. Leakage in the drainage pipes of the upper, front or your own apartment.
  2. Leakage in your water supply pipes of the upper, adjacent or your own flat.
  3. Deteriorated waterproofing of floor slabs or bathtub seals.
  4. Seepage of wastewater or rainwater through roof / external wall.
  5. How do we find out the causes of water seepage in residential flats?


Seepage Water is usually caused by a leaky pipe, but it can also come from defective plumbing fixtures such as toilets and sinks. If you are noticing water coming out of your sink at night when there’s no one else home or missing pipes near areas where people spend time (like kitchens), then this could be an issue with either the line itself being worn down due to constant use over the years; some joints may need tightening after the installation gets moved around frequently between different rooms-in which case professional help would likely.


  1. How should disputes over Seepage Water be settled for HDB or private non landed estates & assistance that government agencies can offer?


Owners are required to maintain and manage their building, which includes resolving any seepage water problems. When you notice that there’s a pungent or disagreeable smell coming from your neighbour’s flat, don’t be afraid to approach them for an investigation. If it turns out they’re responsible for the seepage water and have failed in their duty of care towards property maintenance, then we can take steps immediately. 


If the seepage water issue is dragging on for months and even years without being resolved due to uncooperative neighbours, the Minister of National Development (MND)has called for more authority for the Housing Development Board (HDB) to enter flats to carry out repairs.


If you are staying in an apartment, it is important to contact a professional repairman who has experience with these types of leaks. They will be able to identify the source and possibly stop them before they get worse.


HDB Flats


HDB flats are not alone in their responsibility to fix water leaks. Owners and residents of an upper or lower floor flat have a duty too, which they must take it seriously if there is one on their property. After informing both HDB as well as Town Council about any possible leakages (and providing evidence), these authorities will usually assist with investigations into where it came from so that repairs can be made accordingly.


If you have water leaking from the ceiling, it’s important that both your upper and lower floor flats be repaired. The party responsible for repairing this slab will need to take care of any damages on their end too. This is according to a document published by the Housing Development Board (HDB) which I have read. A specialist contractor should be engaged to solve the repairs, and the total costs should be borne equally.


For those who are staying on the topmost floor of a flat, as their leakage is coming from an area that’s controlled by your town council and it leaks into common property maintained by them, you should contact them for repairs.


HDB has a Goodwill repair Assistance scheme to assist flat owners who have been referred by their Grassroots Advisers. HDB will co-pay 50% of the repair fee, with the remaining cost split between the two flat owners. Each apartment owner will thus only have to pay 25% each of the repair cost, subject to a maximum of $300 per repair work location.


In the case of an uncooperative situation between upper and lower floor neighbours, MP may be involved to mediate as and when required to settle the disputes. HDB will take legal action as a last and final option if conflicts persist.


It may take time for the situation to be resolved as investigations and repairs to be made depending on the difficulty of the problem/


Private Non-Landed estates


In the case of ceiling leakage for private non-landed estates, the relevant law is controlled by the Building Maintenance and Strata Management Act, which the Strata Titles Board administers.


As stated in the Act, the upper floor is supposedly responsible for the leakage and thus the works unless he can prove the contrary(you may refer to our thermographic technology for more information). Therefore, the upper and lower floor flats are required to investigate the cause of the leak and proceed with repairs(preferably with the help of a water seepage/waterproofing specialist contactor. It would be better if you also involved your property’s Management Corporation when necessary.


If a civilized resolution is not able to be achieved, the apartment owner can make an appeal to the Strata Titles Board to settle the problem.


The STB has the power to determine truth from lies and create a fair judgment, which both parties can submit without argument. The STB will then make an enforceable order in the State Courts.


An application fee of $500 covers two mediation sessions and hearings conducted by industry experts. You may apply for the $500 fee to be paid by the other party in your application.

For more information: “Strata Living in Singapore” guide by the Building and Construction Authority of Singapore.