How to Find a Leak in Your Swimming Pool
If you are a constant user or are involved in cleaning your pool; if anything unusual appears, you can easily identify it. One of the potential irregularities that may occur in a pool is harsh water loss which is a sign of possible water leak in the pool or even the filtration system
On average, a typical Swimming pool loses approximately a quarter of an inch of water per day depending on your pool’s location. This may vary because of sunlight, humidity, and wind intensity. The major causes of abnormal loss of water in your pool include;
A rising or dipping pool deck
The pool system having air
The development of soggy spots surrounding the pool
Cracks in the pool
Adding water in the pool too often
Dangers of a leaking pool;
- It can lead to serious sinkholes.
- It can lead to high water bills
- Poor handling of swimming pool pH because of debris entering via the leaking spots. It can also lead to often growth of algae and bacteria in the pool.
Causes of Faulty Pool Leaks in a swimming pool
Dropping water level of a pool is common because of many circumstances like splashed water while swimming and dispersal. However increased rapid loss may not significantly be a water leakage, below are some of the causes;
𝐖𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐓𝐨 𝐃𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐞 𝐒𝐰𝐢𝐦𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐏𝐨𝐨𝐥 𝐋𝐞𝐚𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠.
1) Figure out the groundwater index (if the swimming pool is on the ground). This is because leaking could result from either direction because if the groundwater table is low, then water from the swimming pool will leak outside to even the water level or vice versa.
2) Check the water level inside the swimming pool using a tape. If the water level drops considerably, then there is leaking.
3) Check for crashes on the walls and floors of the swimming pool. Water seeps out through the crashes. Hence, hitting the ceiling below (if the swimming pool is not on the ground) or the surrounding. Normally, cracks will happen on the joints. Put colour dye on the suspected crack areas.
4) Check for water marks or water dripping on the ceiling below. Treatment needs to be done depending on the problem.
When swimming pool leaking is identified, it is best to approach a specialist to resolve the issue. Major renovations might not be needed if you act immediately.