Roof Leakage Repair in Singapore – Why & How
The roof is the most important part of your home, but it needs extra care and maintenance because you are exposed to various climatic conditions. In this article, I will discuss some reasons for leaks on roofs as well as how they affect houses in general; then we can get into fixing them too!
Why you need to repair the roof:
- A leaky roof can damage the house structure in many ways. Here are some:
- Leakage of the roof will damage the ceiling. Water flows from the roof to the ceiling and attacks the plaster and paint on the ceiling. The plaster expands, and the paint peels off the ceiling.
- This water can damage electrical equipment mounted on the ceiling and is extremely dangerous. If there is hidden wiring in the house, roof leakage can also cause short circuits.
- Water entering from the roof can easily penetrate the walls and cause leachate and moisture in the house. Continuous water penetration can cause paint peeling, wall moisture, and plaster cracking.
- Dampness on the walls caused by a leaky roof is a perfect spot for mold and mildew to grow. The mold then spreads throughout the house and can cause serious health problems such as allergies, asthma and respiratory illness.
- If the ingress of water is constant, then water can easily make its way from the roof through the walls and into the house’s foundation. Repairing a damaged foundation can be a very expensive task.
- Leakage of the roof can permanently compromise the integrity of the house’s structure.
How to repair a leaking roof:
A proper roof inspection should be done frequently and when you notice signs of damage, get it repaired immediately.
First, try finding the exact location of the roof leakage. If the roof has few leaks, look for scale, black spots, or mold. The leaking roof is usually directly above it.
If the roof does not have the proper pitch to drain water, it can become clogged and can cause roof leakages.
It can be hard to track the exact location of a leak because the affected area is more noticeable and originates from outside where the roof leak was noticed.
The solution to this problem is waterproofing the entire roof, and Dr Fixit products are known to be the most effective waterproofing solution.
First, make sure that the surface is clean and dry.
Repair all the cracks and damages on the roof surface before coating it with a waterproofing solution.
Fixit Newcoat and Dr. Fixit Torchshield are ideal for roof waterproofing. Apply the first coat of waterproofing solution on the roof’s surface and follow the instructions given on the product packaging for the perfect time gap between each skin.
The Fixit impregnation solution is resistant to mold, UV, and infrared. These products are easy to use and rarely require professional help.
I hope you now understand the importance of proper maintenance, timely inspection and waterproofing of the roof.