Tips on How to Maintain Retractable Awnings
After investing in retractable awnings for your home’s outdoor areas, you might want to learn more about keeping your Singapore retractable awnings looking new. Sun and regional weather pose a constant threat to these exterior additions. Check out these retractable awning maintenance tips to learn more about awning care.
How Do You Maintain Retractable Awnings?
There are many methods you can employ to maintain your retractable awning better. You can spot clean things like bird droppings or paint drips. Many awning owners like to perform seasonal and annual maintenance tasks that commonly include:
- Checking for small rips, tears, or punctures before they become irreparable
- Pruning nearby trees, plants, or vines to prevent awning damage
- Sweeping the awning with a soft bristle broom or brush to reduce dirt accumulation
You should perform these tasks in each season that you use your retractable awning. These simple maintenance practices will help improve the longevity of your Pittsburgh retractable awnings and protect your investment in your outdoor areas.
How Can You Protect Awning Fabric?
There are a couple of tactics you can use to protect your retractable awning fabric. These helpful tactics include:
- Never retracting the awning while wet
- Store the awning in a dry area over the winter season
- Set the awning to travel storage mode if you are heading out for a vacation
The first tip may be the most difficult to remember. Rainstorms can easily surprise you, causing your awning to hold water and increase the chances of mildew and mold. Taking these steps as needed over the years will keep your awnings in better condition over time.
Tips on Keeping Retractable Awnings in Top Shape
You should familiarize yourself with these five valuable tips to maintain your retractable awnings for years to come.
- Always Keep the Fabric and Frame Clean: You should regularly brush or sweep the fabric and frame of your awnings. You can also use a mix of mild detergent and warm water to scrub the awnings gently. Be sure to rinse away all the soap to prevent potential damage.
- Dealing with Debris: It’s easy to deal with debris if you purchase an extendable reach soft bristle brush. Simply sweep away leaves, dirt, webs, or other unwanted debris. Be sure to be gentle while cleaning the debris from your awning to prevent scratches or tears.
- Store the Awning Safely and Securely: You need to know how to store your awning when you are done using the awning for a season or leaving home for travel purposes. Use travel mode or move the awning to a safe, dry storage area after ensuring it is completely dry. During storage, you can wrap the dry awning in plastic for additional moisture protection.
- Yearly awning maintenance: You can easily perform yearly awning maintenance without removing the awning from your home. Be sure to pick a warm, dry, and sunny day to clean your awning. Wet the awning down with clean, cool water, gently scrub, and then rinse away all soap residue before allowing it to dry in the open position in the sun.
- Remove Rust from Frame: If you notice rust developing on the awning frame, you will need to contact your awning provider. Your provider will know which chemicals and rust removal processes are safe for your awning materials. Don’t ignore rust because it can permanently damage the framework and disrupt the safe operation of your retractable awning.
Retractable awnings are a fantastic addition to any outdoor living area around your home. You can protect your retractable awning with a few simple maintenance tasks that allow your awning to last longer. You can prevent costly replacements or repairs by following the tips outlined above.
Are you looking for a local Singapore retractable awning installation? Our team specializes in custom-made motorized retractable awnings for customized shading solutions in Singapore and surrounding areas.