Water seepage and leakage solution, treatment & repair
The dampness of walls and water seepage are common problems faced by homeowners. This happens due to poor quality construction and lack of waterproofing measures during the construction of the home. It can cause dampness of the walls, efflorescence (puffy white deposits on walls), and peeling of paint
These dampness problems need to be tacked for a good home painting experience. There seems to be a lot of confusion on what waterproofing chemicals need to be used and the process involved. So, we decided to write this guide to set water leakage and seepage solution for walls and roofs.
In this post, you will learn about common waterproofing issues and their causes, what waterproofing chemicals need to be used and waterproofing procedures that need to be followed. We have covered solutions and fixes for existing buildings. Preventive measures that are to be taken during the construction of buildings will be covered later in another post. Unicorn chemical provides the best water leakage and seepage solution in Singapore.
How to treat water seepage and leakage on rising wall
Rising damp affects the lower region of walls because of rising groundwater within the wall due to capillary action. This causes efflorescence (white deposit) and peeling of the paint.
1) Treating Mild Dampness in Interior Walls
Interior walls develop damp patches because of the aforementioned reasons. In case if these are mild patches, they can be treated without much hassle and effort. Remember to treat not just the patches but also at least 2 feet around the damp patch.
- Use an iron brush to remove loose material around the area to be treated. Remove patches of loose plaster if needed.
- In case the plaster has been removed re-plaster the patches using mortar made of cement, sand, and a plasticizing additive chemical like Unicorn wall seal. Allow the plaster to cure and dry out before the next step
- Apply a waterproof coating Unicorn Seal on the re-plastered area using the application instructions. This layer will prevent seepage and can also be used as a surface for repainting.
- The surface can now be repainted after surface preparation.
2) Treating Severe Dampness in Interior Walls
Severe dampness is characterized by peeling plaster, severe visible damp patches on the wall and white chalky deposits on the wall. To tackle this problem of water leaking from walls, the plaster has to be completely removed to apply waterproofing from the brick level.Unicorn chemical provides the best water leakage and seepage solution in Singapore.
- Break the damaged plaster on the walls up to the brick level Remember to clear a patch 2 feet in excess of the damp patch.
- Apply a waterproof coating agentUnicorn rock seal directly on the bricks according to the right procedure
- Re-plaster the exposed patch using mortar using cement, sand, and a plasticizing addictive chemical. Allow the plaster to cure as applicable and dry out.
- Repaint the area after base preparation.
Repairing & Waterproofing Exterior Walls
Seepage in mid-level walls and those around windows can be due to cracks in the external walls. Before treating the interior walls you need to repair and waterproof the exterior by following these steps.
- Fill cracks in exterior walls using an exterior crack sealant.
- To protect areas around window frames from water seepage from exterior walls, ﬁll the gaps between the window frames and walls using a special bonding sealant.
- After repairing the exterior walls for any cracks, apply any exterior paint with waterproofing abilities.
- .Unicorn chemical provides the best water leakage and seepage solution in Singapore