Metal Roof Coating to Stop Leaks
Metal Roof Waterproofing & Coatings to Stop Roof Leaks
Water intrusion is the leading cause of construction-related litigation, and can cost thousands or tens of thousands of dollars to fix.
This is especially the case with leaks in a roofing system – water can cause catastrophic and extremely expensive damage.
ROOF RESTORATION & WATERPROOFING
- Quality roof waterproofing is the best insurance you can buy.
- Roofing Systems that involve attachments, utilities, equipment or penetrations are modifications to the roof structure.
- Repairs to a “busy” roof with utilities , need to take into consideration permanent water tightness under, around and over all relevant roof structures.
Water leaks that don’t get addressed early can eventually compromise the entire integrity of a building envelope.
METAL ROOF – Using Liquid Waterproofing to Seal Penetrations
- Often roofing work performed by trades, most notably HVAC & Solar Installation contractors, may impact the waterproofing integrity of the roof.
- Installations of solar arrays are an example that may involve dozens of roof penetrations, attachments or up stands.
- Roof penetrations and holes drilled through the roof surface, makes any roof vulnerable to water intrusion.
- It is vital roof modifications are made water tight with a reliable, long-term & structurally robust membrane suitable for the entire life of the roof.
- Failure to do so, especially on low slope metal commercial roofs, may result in future water leaks and subsequent extensive damage.
- Liquid Membranes are the ideal waterproofing product to make water tight & seal around all metal roof utilities & penetrations.
- These membranes are spray-applied, roller or brush applied so all roof sections & areas are permanently sealed even in the most difficult places to waterproof.
ROOF WATER LEAKS – it is important to understand how a roof leaks.
- Rainwater does not always flow downhill.
- This is because wind is also a significant factor in creating leaking roofs.
- Wind can blow water up along the surface of a roof, under flashings and down between metal joins, seam & flashings.
- Capillary action can even draw water sideways and uphill.
- And when water finds even the smallest pinhole, this will cause ingress under and along the underside of the roof.
- From a point of entry, water can track a remarkable distance, making the original entry location very difficult to ascertain.
- Over time water leaks can penetrate through the roof structure leading to structural damage and weakened the integrity of the building.
- Larger penetrations & multiple holes i.e corrosion in a metal roof, will result in this process & subsequent water damage occurring more rapidly.
WATERPROOFING, SEALANTS & COATINGS
- Paints, Coatings & Sealants by themselves provide poor long-term waterproofing reliability & endurance.
- Paints, Coatings & Sealants need to be re-applied frequently as they deteriorate rapidly compared with waterproofing membranes.
- Sealants are susceptible to breakdown from the sun’s ultraviolet rays, oxidation, and cracking due to expansion and contraction of a building surface.
- Sealants primarily form a protective layer over the roof surface, while waterproofing membranes prevent the ingress of water flow into roofs, foundations, basements, buildings and structures.
- Membranes are a permanent coating that are UV, pollution, salt and chemical resistant and protective for the life of the roof.
- Waterproofing Membranes, as opposed to sealants, paints & coatings, provide robust long term solutions for all types of leaking roofs – metal, concrete & timber.
Liquid Applied Membranes (LAMs) provide a permanent robust adherence and solve the many problems encountered with Sheet & Torch-On waterproofing methods.
Liquid Applied Membranes (LAMs) exhibit extreme flexibility – ideal for roof repairs.
WATERPROOFING TO REPAIR LEAKING ROOFS
- The life of a metal roof is extended by stopping all roof leaks.
- Australian roofs are exposed to harsh climatic elements.
- Roof coatings in Australia need to protect against UV radiation, rain, hail, wind pressure during storms & cyclones, possibly snow or ice, possums, cockatoos, salt air and corrosion.
- Due to climatic variations, all sections of a roof will be subject to daily thermal expansion & contraction.
- It is critical that a roof waterproofing membrane has long term flexibility & will move as one with the roof surface.
- Ensuring that a roof and all penetrations are completely water tight is an essential design element and critical for successful roof repairs.
LIQUID RUBBER – Best Roof Waterproofing Product
- Liquid Applied Membranes (LAMs) are high performance elastomeric roof coatings that create a permanent leak-proof roof – even with multitude penetrations or roof equipment.
- Liquid Waterproofing products, by their very nature being liquid, will conform to any shape, configuration or surface.
- Liquid Waterproofing Membranes can be applied vertically, horizontally, overhead and is instant set.
- Liquid Membranes are an ideal product for metal roofs as the membrane will coat trim-deck, clip-lock, roof profiles and make water tight around flashings, utilities & roof services.
- LAMs are a roofing coating that results in a watertight membrane that protects in the heaviest rains and can even withstand “ponding” water.
- White elastomeric waterproof coatings reduce metal roof surface temperatures and lowers interior cooling.
Source – Liquidrubbermelb